Thursday, May 28, 2009

In Loving Memory

I know... a lot of memories... but this is a special one to me... *sniff*

First, Shadrack and Meshack are no longer in their nest this afternoon! I found them with their funny hair styles (what is it with kids these days?!) behind my cabin hopping around and learning how to fly. They were pretty cute and I am very excited that there were no kids around to try to catch the poor things. It is fun to see that cycle of life working and I am able to witness each and every stage because I am there every day...


However this post is not about a robin, but a duck.

Over the past week I have grown rather fond of a certain baby duckling that we have here at the park. The livery girls named her Rya. She is a runt that ended up hurting her beak somehow... cute, little fuzzy and yellow. Rya was just the perfect size to fit in my apron pocket.

I have spent the last couple of days taking care of her in my cabin (away from all of the children) and she came to the point where she would follow me around. If I had to put her in my pocket she would nestle down and sit relatively quite. When I sat down she would snooze in my apron or in the crook of my arm where my sleeve acts as a protective wing. And if a put down my hand to her she would climb down and sit on it knowing, somehow that I was the right one. I have become mother duck...

This afternoon a very unfortunate even happened to my poor baby duckling... and I had her die in my hands. Her poor limp body was buried in my herb garden and it is hard to explain the loss I feel now that she is not here... I know, its a duck... and she's not even mine... but I can't help but feel sorrow and remorse over my little Rya... *sniff*


This is Rya resting in my pocket... she's the runt who was picked on and got a bloody beak. She's the smallest and most delicate of the bunch...


Nature is an interesting thing... and it really helps to put life and the blessings we have into focus... life is such a fragile thing that has to be cherished every minute of every day. Why do we waste so much time doing unproductive nothings when there is so much to do and see and experience!!! Heavenly Father is watching over us and understands how much we can handle. If we are going though something that we can't handle by our selves, there is a reason for it. He wants us to come closer to him, to rely on his help and his blessings... If we can do that than anything is possible. :) What a blessing that the gospel and the knowledge that it brings is to us. Yay for the Gospel!!!

2 comments:

  1. Sorry about your duck. So sad! Congratulations on your engagement. We are looking forwarda to meeting him!

    ReplyDelete
  2. How's the bride to be? We're sooooo excited! I love your blog. Life is fragile and we do need to depend more on Heavenly Father. He never let's us down. I remember when we used to win ducks at the carnival and how fun it used to be. The miracle of life is so wonderful. I love watching the monarch butterfly go from a caterpillar to a butterfly. It always amazes me that it can change color.
    Have a great day! I'm so glad I'm your aunt!
    Linda

    ReplyDelete