Saturday, May 23, 2009

Baby Animal Days

This weekend is Baby Animal Days... Today we had approximately 2300 people come through the park... and we are expecting more on Monday...boy are we tired... Yesterday we planted my garden. I am very excited as this is possibly my first full-sized garden... I have a pumpkin patch, 3 rows of peas, and a row of green beans... we saved half of it for corn. We get to try a historical experiment. The first pioneers in the valley arrived here on July 24 cultivated some land and planted ASAP to have something of a crop. So we are not going to plant my corn until July 24... or soon thereafter... we are going to see what kind of crop we can grow! How exciting.

This summer I have a regular site that I am assigned to. I am stationed at the John Gardiner cabin right at the front of the park. This little 13 X 22' log cabin housed 13 people (10 children; 7 boys and 3 girls) and was originally located in Pleasant Grove, Utah. I have come to adopt my little cabin and it is slowly becoming my home. The activity in my cabin is pioneer chores and games. We do laundry on washboards, beat rugs, water my garden... and some children make me think of other chores like sweeping my cabin and such... but its fun to see the glee in the children's faces. After chores are we bring out the stilts, hoops and graces, and the barrel ring...thing... I now have a flower bed in the front of my cabin... the seeds have yet to sprout... so we are crossing our fingers...

About two weeks ago three little robins hatched in the nest that is sitting on the fence out in front of my cabin. I have named them Shadrack, Meshack, and Abendigo... Sadly, I found Abendigo in my garden this morning... featherless... and not breathing... so he is buried in my garden. I was a little upset at Ms. Wells (the mama bird) but I am learning a lot about birds and the cycles that nature has gone through for many years now... so I'm having to suck it up.

Pioneer life is great. Despite being dreadfully tired, I am enjoying the sunshine and the people, and the history of it all. The ambiance of this place is just... never ending... :) Well, I know this post sounds way tired... but I shall leave it until next time...

No comments:

Post a Comment