Sunday, June 7, 2009

Adventure to the Y... almost

A sad truth in my life is one that I don't tell many about... I have lived in Orem all my life and in Provo for 2 years now... I can look up at the Y on the mountain every day and know that I am not lost... and yet I have never hiked to it. Its true...


The gate leading to the trail head...

The adventure to undertake wasn't officially planned...(this was the day before I started work at This is the Place... just to give you an idea.) Bryce and I just decided to go up one night upon finishing our pizza. Bryce told me there were a couple of switch backs... it wouldn't be too bad. So I decided I would try to accomplish a very big milestone in my life. Turns out, spontanious ideas only work sometimes...

We got to the first turn and I was panting rather hard. I had to sit on the convienient bench they had placed for me there. After I caught my breath again I decided I could make a couple more to reach my goal. I needed to get into shape... right? We got up to the second turn and my leg muscles were screaming very angrily at me... so I sat again, and told Bryce I could go no further this time if I was to start working tomorrow, I didn't want to start sore and tired. He tried to tell me we were about half way and that I could make it but I told him "another night" and "someday."



This is me and Bryce at the first turn... I am still happy and optimistic at this point...

This story has a twist... I passed the sign that showed the trail... there are 10 turns all together for the shorter hike... yes, I only made it to the second. So my attempt was more of a failure than a success. But on the bright side... I got closer than I ever have... right?


The proof that I made it as far up as I did... plus, 2 turns is high up, that parking lot is where we left my car. What a great view it is from up there!

4 comments:

  1. Haha this brings back so many memories for me! :) Tyler and Jason told me the same thing and as soon as we started I thought I was going to die and never make it. That hike is a monster. Luckily since Jason is a mountain lion he was able to have enough strength and patience (we stopped A LOT) and he pulled me up to the bottom of the Y. Definitely a once in a lifetime thing for me :) You'll have to update us when you make it to the Y someday.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Time to start running I guess. Good luck next time. By the way, I probably wouldn't have made it past the first turn.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Jessica,
    You did better than I did. I went to school there 4 years and I am ----------years old and I have never climbed it. Soooo look what you did.
    Good job.
    Linda

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hey...I've never been to the Y, so don't feel too bad! :)

    ReplyDelete