Monday, July 9, 2012

Vital Records + Freebie

With the western states up in flames, it calls to question just how prepared and organized I am for a possible evacuation. What would I grab if I had 30 minutes before I need to leave? 10 minutes? mere moments? Would I have all the documents and important items that we'd need in case we couldn't go back?

It has sparked (sorry, pun not intended) the motivation I needed to put one of my planned projects into action. The Vital Record's Binder. A collection of the important documents and information we might possibly need. It takes so much less time to grab one binder than run around the house trying to remember in a hurry.

I have not completely finished collecting everything, but as I finish it I am excited to share it with you. That said, I have done some looking around for ideas and inspiration on this particular preparedness project. One of the best ones I've seen is here at (a favorite preparedness blog of mine) Prepared NOT Scared. There are also some great page ideas over at Your Own Home Store and All Things Simple. You can also check out my Pinterest board here for more links to ideas.

It can be a little daunting to take on a task that seems so important and vast as emergency preparedness, but if I take it one step at a time, it seems plausible... I am also a very visual person, aesthetics is key in getting me excited about something.

Step 1 for me then is to: start with some structure and the organization, and I had to make it cute. So here is my freebie for you! Its one of my first so I am very excited to share it!
Vital Records Cover and Tabs
Pictures and specifics to come. But for now, All you need to get started is:

  • a binder. (At least 1.5". I am working on mine and am thinking 2" or even 3" will give me a little more available space to work with... depending on how much stuff you want to collect.)
  • page protectors. (Costco has the best deal on these as you can get 250 sheets for about $12.)
  • card-stock paper to print the tab dividers on. (or you can have it printed someplace like Kinkos or something... if you do, let me know if it works! I'd like to know)
  • Tabs. (you can purchase a package of tabs that stick to your page protectors. They come in packages either clear or colorful. I used Martha Stewart's line from Staples. They are cuter... and easier to use!)
Step 1: Print off the divider pages and add them to your binder in the order that you choose. (I purposely made it so the order could be fairly flexible)
Step 2: Add tabs to divider pages
Step 3: Begin collecting the important documents that you know the location of. The individual pages have more specific guidelines and ideas that could be helpful as you start your collection. 

I compiled a list from a few different places to create my list of useful documents. Personally, I do not have all the sorts of documents that others might, so I tried to include those that anyone could have. Let me know if I'm missing any you might think of... I have thought of creating a blank one (so it can be filled in individually as you go). Let me know if you think that might be a good idea. 

Please, let me know if you use it, love it, or find any typos! (Especially as this is my first-ever freebie!) Leave me a comment! I LOVE comments. Good Luck!

6 comments:

  1. That is just what I needed, and cute to boot! I was just thinking last week that I should do this. Thanks for making it so easy.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This looks gorgeous! Thanks so much. I've been thinking a lot about being prepared in case of emergency. I love this.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well thank you! I tried to make it as printer-friendly yet cute as possible! I'm glad you like it!

      Delete
  3. I'm so glad you posted your blog on facebook a little bit ago, I'm loving keeping up with you and your cute family! I sort of had documents all together and I was thinking about re-doing it and wow! looking at yours, I definitely need to re-do mine and include a bunch of things I never would have thought about if not for you! Thanks for the ideas, keep posting!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I miss you guys terribly! I hope things are going well for you and your darling family! :) I am glad it is helpful. Hopefully, I'll post more on it soon!

      Delete