Wednesday, April 1, 2009

Cupcakes Can Kill You

BYU A Capella Club presents: The A Capella Jam!

A collection of different Barbershop and A Capella groups got together to perform for their audience. BYU is known as a "hotbed" for this type of music and as one could imagine, the groups were amazing! I did feel like Simon on American Idol... Bryce and I ended up discussing the different strengths and weaknesses with each performance, but I did thoroughly enjoy myself.

One of my favorite groups is a group of 9 girls who call themselves Noteworthy. They were AMAZING! Their harmony and blend was so in tune with each other that it was hard to recognize that you were not listening to music... just voices. Their percussionist, Courtney, was better than some men I have seen. As a girl, that talent is very hard to come by. I was very, very impressed. Their second song was an arrangement of Come, Come Ye Saints and when they sang I had goosebumps appear all over! I could just feel the song... *sigh* it was great!

(noteworthyladies.com)

Another performer was a sort of "one-man-band". His performing name is Mr. Tim and he is actually has shows in Vegas... (don't worry he's family friendly...) Tim had his apple computer there and demonstrated a live looping with himself to sing a song with himself... it was absolutely amazing and really fun to watch. His last song was all about how cupcakes can kill you. It was pretty funny... and he had close to 10 different things looping around with his song. During his song he had a ninja fight on stage with a hostess cupcake. He won, but only barely... It was pretty good. If you are interested, the link to that particular song of his is below...

http://www.mistertimdotcom.com/music/CUPCAKESmix03.mp3

Anyone who is familiar with music groups at BYU is also familiar with the group called Vocal Point. It is the top A Capella group that comes from our university. They, of course, were the finale group. For their first song they started out in the audience and came up like zombies while starting the song "Thriller". Their choreography was phenomenal and I forgot that I was listening to A Capella, not music... I am still trying to wrap my head around it! :D Of course their numbers were amazing and we had them on for an encore... Their encore piece was a Russian song that I have found on youtube.com. Its as good as I can find to show you how amazing this song was. I was very impressed.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uYTcYMheGt0&feature=related
(the musicians are a little creepy... but the singer is absolutely amazing)

Anyway, That's a whole lot of nothingness... just me babbling on... Maybe one day, I'll write something significant here... but what fun is that?

P.S. At least its a little new culture right?

1 comment:

  1. If they're full of death!

    Please stay away from evil cupcakes and if you're cornered then send in your ninjas!

    I luv you!

    ReplyDelete