Saturday, March 28, 2009

Back in Time...

The spell of adventureless days seems to be fading into history... ironically that is exactly what broke our boringness spell... history, I mean...

It is also time to bring my boy back into the story of my life... no don't worry, he didn't go anywhere. (We are going to school and sometimes that takes precedence over adventuring and fun... *sigh*) With the end of the semester coming up in a few weeks the light at the end of the tunnel is almost upon us! Unfortunately, no one told the Utah weather man... whoever is in charge of the weather is not aware that we have officially crossed the threshold into spring... please make up your mind! (and make it up on the warm idea...)

Today was a beautiful day and started very early for Bryce and I. Bryce called me at 6:50 in the morning to make sure I was up and getting ready to leave our apartments by 7:00 (and yes this is in the AM, for those of you who don't think college students don't know what AM is... we've read about it...) You see, time travel must start early if you are going to make it back to the 19th century... *sigh* OK, so we drove up to Salt Lake because the Living History Conference was scheduled to start with Breakfast at 8:00.

The Keynote speaker that started off the conference is the dean of history at Weber state. His latest book published is a biography of one of the most interesting characters I have heard about in the history of the Mormon church and Utah... He is right up there with Brigham Young, and Rockwell Porter... even J. Golden Kimball could keep his company. :) But I was very impressed by his story and I wish to share a little about him for those who actually care to read my randomness... This man's name was Jedediah Grant. He was converted in Europe and came over to the US with his family. At age 15 he served a 10 year mission through the eastern and southern states. When he came back to Ohio he married his childhood sweetheart and began the move to the Salt Lake valley. His baby girl died and was buried next to the trail, then his wife died... she made him promise to bury her and the baby in the valley. He drove back to find the baby but she had been found by the wolves, so failed to keep his second promise. (His wife is buried in the cemetery at This is the Place Heritage Park now...) When he got to the valley he was elected the first mayor of Salt Lake City and soon thereafter was called to be the second councilor in the first presidency under Brigham Young. This man had the opinion that being a Mormon was an all or nothing commitment. He was the key player in the "Mormon Reformation of 1856." This reformation started the second councilor "Jeddy Grant" traveled up to Layton where he met a congregation that he felt was spiritually dead. So, naturally... he stood up at the pulpit and told them that they had all just been excommunicated. He then said "if you are going to repent and become a good Mormon, then follow me down to the millpond and I'll baptize you back in." It worked... and Grant did it for multiple congregations all over Utah. Brother Brigham just shook his head and agreed to let him do it. I really want to read this book, it sounds so interesting. (It might be coming up on goodreads sometime soon... ;D )



It kinda makes you stop to wonder though doesn't it? I mean, would I be excommunicated if Grant came to me? Am I spiritually asleep and comfortable enough... am I in it with my all or just what comes easily? I hope I will at least be re-baptized... ;)

After that the man from the Gold rush taught a class on the 49ers and their impact on people in Utah. Did you know that Salt Lake City raked in 1/2 a million dollars in the year of 49... or 50... I can't quite remember... the point being, everyone was filthy rich... except who? the church members. Brigham Young didn't like the traders that set up shop in Salt Lake and didn't believe that it was right for the church to get involved. So the Church was experiencing hard times financially but the people benefited from the abundant economy. Yet another interesting fact... :)

I learned how to garden and how to irrigate. I have the pioneer tips and pointers, where and how far to plant your plants, how deep, and how to work the water, etc. My favorite part of my classes was the "Tea Parties and Military Wives" class. Bryce naturally went to learn about Military Drilling in the Civil War, while I attended this class... :D But I got to attend my first real tea party! It was quite the first experience for me. All the ladies at the table with me were also having a first time, so none of us really knew what we were doing. The hostess brewed 3 loose teas (mango, cherry vanilla, and a black current), also some raspberry tea bags were set out (technically the tea bags weren't invented until 1910...), and there was also hot cocoa and a punch bowl of lemonade. There were also trays upon trays of little snack-like foods... cake, crackers, strawberries, little cookies, etc. (all period). It was a delicate hour. I decided to try one of the herbal teas for the experience... Mango... it tasted like... mango water with a slice of lemon sitting in it... (which it was... ) we passed our bowl of sugar around our table about 4 times before everyone was able to get their drinks down... then we gave up and went for the lemonade... :D When I told Bryce about the food he was totally jealous and wished he had at least poked his head in... haha... that would have been a sight to behold... :D

My last class of the day was Millinery (hat making). I have been inspired to try out a project this year that has to do with seamstressing... I am no good at it, and I think it will be fun to try something that can be turned into a good sill.

With that the conference was over but Bryce and I had stuff to talk about all the way home and have come back to it every so often since. It was a really amazing experience for me and I am glad that we went. Isn't history just amazing? There is something for everyone to be found. It doesn't matter what your hobbies are, there is a history of it. If you know where to look you can find a great, educational experience that you will remember for a good long time. (*hint hint* This is the Place is a great place to experience this... ;D )

Anyway, in all fairness in warning... the historical information will start to be a regular occurrence around this blog... My job is looming ever nearer and excitement for it is growing exponentially. (woah... college word there... sorry, it just slipped out!) Sorry that my posts are so stinking long... just ignore the middle part and pretend you enjoyed it. That's just fine with me! :) Have a wonderful night and until next time!

1 comment:

  1. Well, all of your college adventures remind me of how much fun it was. Kind of exciting. Try to enjoy every moment.

    ReplyDelete