Tuesday, February 21, 2012

Free Verse Poetry Night + Hot Chocolate Bar

The neighborhood activity turned out to be more of a success than I originally thought. I was told that we were planning for 60-80 people. I didn't think that many would show up to a poetry reading... and for the most part I was right. But we had at least 45 people come and that was more than I thought would come. We had fun and the hot chocolate bar turned out magnificently! (unlike the pictures I was able to get... I really need a new camera)

Each of the tables had a centerpiece of old books stacked on a square of fabric. We used a mini easel to hold a faux chalkboard with an inspirational/famous poetry quote. Some of the books were poetry books for inspiration/help. There were also instruction papers on how to write haikus and such... and pens with stationary for guests to write their own poems.

The mic was at the front with a few soft chairs around it and the lighting was low and relaxing. We had a guitarist and drummer to serenade us while we wrote. There was even a bongo drum for added drama. (Yes we snapped our approval and everything.) 



To complete the "coffee house" feel it was necessary to have a drink bar. :) Through a series of events I was basically put in charge of the food and drink. I admit I was excited to give it a try in the full scale as I have only done a very small version. 

We started with two options for a "base." I made a homemade basic hot chocolate and kept it warm on the table in a crock pot. I also used our Cocomotion to warm up plain milk for another option. 

Then come the mix-ins. We had a wide variety to keep the creative juices flowing... Flavored syrups, peppermint powder, cinnamon, dark chocolate, white chocolate, peanut butter chips, caramel syrup, sea salt... the flavor possibilities were endless!

 

Top it off with one three types of whipped cream (peppermint, cinnamon, or vanilla) and grab a donut to complete your delectable creation! :) 

Being one who likes a little inspiration we used the "chalkboard" theme on the drink bar and had instructions for flavor ideas. I am very pleased with the way it all turned out!











No comments:

Post a Comment