Sunday, January 17, 2010

Major Changes

January started with a bang... that is, the bang of an imaginary track gun... and now I feel as though I'm in a race against... everything... the winner's prize? My time. With a busy semester schedule of 15 credit hours and a 3 hour lab, a job as a TA, a husband, and a house to clean... this race is a fast paced one and I'm not sure I was ready when the gun went off... regardless, I'm in for the win and don't intend to lag behind.

Last semester I was faced with some very difficult decisions while choosing classes. I had hit a major road block with the Social Sciences major and wasn't confident that its what I want to do with my life. After prayer and consideration, some discussion with my other half (Ica) and my better half (Bryce) (I know... complicated) it was decided that I was going to change my major... again. Strange how I thought that I would never change my mind, and I never thought I would differ as drastically as I have... I am officially a FACS ED (Family and Consumer Science Education) major and an undeclared minor of History Teaching. Meaning I will be able to teach sewing, cooking, nutrition, human development, finance,and marriage and family with a possibility of history teaching! I only have one class left to complete the minor... but as far as the "home ec" teacher path... its got a way to go. On the bright side, I am interested in learning the things included in just about every class! I am so excited to have the broad range of classes/experiences required.

This semester my class schedule is loaded with classes that complete requirements for my major. And so far I am learning so much and loving every class. However, my goal of taking a 'fun' class for a bit of a break fell through... so technically my 'fun' class is the 2nd half of the Old Testament (1 Kings- Malachi) with Sister Strathearn. I know, doesn't sound too fun, but if you knew the professor like I do (this is my 4th semester... in a row... with her) you would have planned your schedule around this class (this is not saying anything about how I did...)

Besides Old Testament, I am taking Nutrition 100 (focusing on nutrition), Nutrition 250/251 (focusing on the food science of nutrition), History of Apparel, and Introduction to Family Processes. All of my classes are incredible. I am already applying a lot of what I have learned into my life and am excited and eager to learn more (honestly, I've not been this excited about going to school since... elementary school...)

Well this post is already really long, so I will have to expound on my classes as I get into the semester a little. (and make a few more laps...) But thanks for reading and supporting me in what I do! Happy New year!

5 comments:

  1. Congrats on figuring it out. At least you figured it out before you graduated. What would that have been like??

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sounds great to me. You can get us on on a new track. Loved playing games with both of you!
    Love,
    Linda

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great!!! I love reading your blog! Love, Granma B.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ken changed his major and it was the best decision he ever made! It's wonderful to be able do something you really love doing.

    ReplyDelete