Sunday, November 15, 2009

Lessons I learned from Richard Adams

My husband and I had another first as a married couple this weekend, and I will say I wish this particular "first" had happened many, many years from now. However, the time-clock of life doesn't work that way and when God needs one of his choice children for a more important work on the other side of the veil, he will take them.

The choice child he took last week was none other than Bryce's uncle, Richard Adams. A tragic automobile/ pedestrian accident was the method Heavenly Father chose... I really feel that it was for no other reason than that God needed Richard for something important. There were too many coincidences to be a coincidence... I did not know him too well, as I had only officially been with the family a couple of times... but it was Richard who welcomed me to the family first, who gave me encouragement that I would, indeed fit with the LeBaron clan, and Richard who, in the short time I knew him, taught me the importance of family.

Friday night was spent with the family and Saturday I had the opportunity to join with them in a beautiful service for a wonderful man. The service was a little different in that it was the children who spoke, sang, and bore powerful testimony of the plan of salvation. It was them that comforted us... not the other way around. From the stories and memories that were shared this weekend, I have learned some important lessons for life that I just wanted to briefly share with anyone who wants to read this...

Lessons I learned from Richard:
1. Choose to be happy, no matter your situation or circumstance you are in. There is always something to smile about.
2. Be passionate and follow those passions to wherever they take you.
3. Adore your family and do all you can to do things together.
4. Be romantic with your spouse- you don't have to grow up all the way. (the story that brought up this lesson is one of my favorites. His wife, Cindy, never had the chance to go to prom. When they were asked to chaperon their son's prom last year he saw the opportunity to "take" her. He asked her with a cheesy little bottle in the bathtub and they had their picture taken in front of the official backdrop... cute!)
5. Be thankful every day. And be grateful for the little things. (Richard kept a gratitude journal which he wrote in every day. He didn't just write one thing, he had multiple things each day. They shared some of it with us...)

Thank you Adams family for your testimonies... and Thank you Richard for your wonderful example to me.

3 comments:

  1. Hard lesson but a great one. Sounds like he lived a wonderful life.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Our thoughts and prayers are with you. At a recent funeral we attended, the bishop gave a memorable comment:

    "The only way to take the sorrow out of death is to take the love out of life."

    I thought it was so appropriate. It sounds like Bryce's uncle was well loved!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Grandma says,
    Just love to read your blog! I
    think you have a talent for writing.
    Love the way you put your thoughts together, I love you and wish you both the best, And all the happiness possible! Love, Granma

    ReplyDelete