Sunday, November 1, 2009

Happy Halloween!

If any of you know my mother, then you will understand my strange affinity for the halloween season... There is something about it that is fun and exciting... in a totally different way than any other holiday of the year! Who hasn't wanted to become something from our dreams... this is the one time a year we are allowed to let out the inner ballerina, astronaught, zombie... and let them run amok! :)

Also, when else do you get to create disgusting looking treats and food and actually have people eat it and not put you in the "totally insane" category? :) I had to throw a party this year and so I did... :) I got busy cooking and creating the night before... and I think it turned out not half bad!!! :)

First step: peanut butter balls => eyeballs... I rolled 80 balls... there are only 79 pictured here...


This was the plan. Dip the delicious peanut butter balls into white chocolate and use a chocolate chip to finish off the eyeball... unfortunately, the white chocolate would not cooperate... so these are the eyeballs that were made... The "spider eggs" we created afterward (by adding mini chocolate chips instead) were a "sweet" hit! :)
The swampy/ bloody punch was also a hit. I told the party goers that it was "not" the left over punch from the wedding... :) For that recipe you'll have to ask my mother...


The queso dip we called... queso dip. We couldn't "stomach" what it looked like to call it anything else... :) but this stuff goes first at a party, and can be used for oh so many occasions. A favorite proven time and time again!


And of course, Halloween cannot be complete without an edible brain!!! :) it lasted the longest... but was eventually devoured like the rest of the treats... I will say, it turned out rather nicely... :)







We then had our costume contest...

Kerry had the "oldest" award

Jessica receives "most innocent"

Amanda (Frank Sinatra) gets most suave.

Alyssa is our gansta gal!

Jessica (Ica), who spent all summer working for Disney chose to be a Disney tourist... Her cousin who also came told her that she was supposed to dress up for Halloween, not wear everyday wear... including the ears and crown... ;) We love you Ica! You get "heaviest in weight" award for the night... :)

Bryce and I are celebrating our first holiday as a married couple... :) We took inspiration from our little cake topper... What are we dressed as? It's hard to read our shirts... but mine says "newly" and his says "webs." So yes, we are the newly webs... :) Bryce was so proud of his idea... and yes we are using that spider as his "bow tie..."



I will say, our party was a blast! We had a better turn out than I originally thought would come! So thanks for your support! We even has some trick or treat-ers! Some older than others (mom and dad... ) But I'm not sure that the fun we had could match for the surprise waiting my parents the next day... I got this story from my parents today...

While they were party hopping in Provo last night, they had a visitor. He is one of Dad's kids from his singles ward. Quite the character. He was disappointed that he couldn't show the former bishop his costume, so he went to church in his costume and stopped by to show my parents on Sunday... so the best costume this year goes to him... who is he you ask? Well....




The inspiration? .... yup, Bishop Scribner...



Happy Halloween everyone! Until next time!

3 comments:

  1. Okay, so hats off to the brave kid who shaved his head. Too bad your Dad wasn't there to see it. So funny. I don't think I could have eaten the brain!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I guess there are worse things you could inherit from your mom. Who doesn't want to cook weird things in October? Cute spider web dessert server! Thanks for sharing the pictures of Scott. I wanted everyone to see him!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This was absolutely great! What a fun couple you are going to make and everyone will love you! That brain really got me. I love the last pictures.
    Love,
    Linda

    ReplyDelete