Tuesday, June 26, 2012

90 Years for Grandma S.

This is a special year for my family. Both of my Grandmothers are turning 90 years old this year. My Grandma S. actually turned 90 on my birthday (special, right?!) this year. She is an incredible woman. The extended family got together for a reunion-type party at the old family ranch to celebrate this monumental milestone for her. It was fun to see the cousins that I have not seen in at least 5 years. My husband was also able to meet most of them for the first time. Thanks to my aunt and uncle who hosted and organized the event!

I also got to see my brother (who is away for the summer working) again. I miss seeing him as regularly as I am used to. He seems to be doing well and having a great experience waiting at a "resort" near Zion's National Park.

There's something about Kanab that seems to make the stress of life and reality disappear for the weekend visit. The small town pace is slower and nice to experience every once in a while. My brother also treated my husband and I to Disney Pixar's Brave. (yes, opening weekend for $5 per ticket) We enjoyed the movie, but almost as exciting was the wall of family pictures in the theater's lobby.

The local theater is built where my great-grandma's house used to be. In fact, they used the bricks from the old house on the outside of the theater, and the window frames from the house are throughout the theater. The one wall has pictures of my great-grandma and great-grandpa and their children (yes, my 90-year-old grandma as a little girl). We also found a book with their personal histories in it. So naturally, we asked the managers (and hope to get a hold of the owner) to possibly get a copy of the text to compare with the ones that we have already.

Awe, the giant bear at Denny's Wigwam

New teeth = fun to eat corn on the cob

The well water was COLD, but these boys didn't seem to mind...

Our first "happy meal"
It was an exhausting weekend.


Happy Birthday to you, Grandma!



No comments:

Post a Comment