Monday, October 10, 2011

Halloween Decorating



The month of October could not come fast enough for me. I was ready to decorate for Halloween in mid-September. I dutifully waited until General Conference weekend to commence the process. This year has been quite a process... as we are on a very limited budget and I have very little decorations... I was forced to use my creativity to come up with my decor using the Dollar Store and whatever I could create through my computer... With that said, I take some pride in those things that I have accomplished and wish to share them with anyone who cares to read this humble little blog. :)




Firstly, there is some great inspiration out there. I had ideas flying at me through Pinterest, Studio 5, and my mom's Halloween magazines. I also wanted my decor to correlate and fit with the parties I would be hosting this year as well. Rest assured, I have a stock pile of ideas and projects for next year too.

I started out wanting to make a portrait wall... but my wall turned out too big, and I didn't want to go find that many frames right now... so here is the beginning of my collection...

Sorry, I didn't get a very great picture of them...

There on the right... I found some images using trusty ol' Google. I just looked up "free Halloween silhouettes" and spent a little time searching to find the ones I really wanted. Then I found me an old book (one I had found at a yard sale earlier this year for this very purpose) and tore out a few pages that were full of text. I then inked them using my distressing ink to age them. With Frankenstein's Monster I tore the pages into littler bits and mod-podged them onto the back of the frame. With my lady, I used two separate pages but angled them slightly to give it a little character. (I still want to add something to the frame above her hand... just don't know what yet...) The little black frame that houses the Bride of Frankenstein is one I found in the $1 bin at Michaels. Total cost for this project: $3 for frames plus a little ink.

The other major Halloween project that I have been working on is what I like to call my "Witch's Corner." I have visions of this being pretty awesome in a few years... but for now my collection is just starting out. I have collected cool bottles and jars here and there (as I adore weird glass shapes) as I have gone to dollar stores, thrift stores, and yard sales. My husband has wondered about my affinity for glass objects... but what can I say? I need different shapes and sizes to get the effect I want. In my searching for inspiration I found out that I can dye my own paper with tea to age it. Who knew right?! So you know I had to try it... with a little trial and error, I got it to work for the most part. As I get time each bottle will be getting a label for the specimen or potion inside...





More to come... Yay!


No comments:

Post a Comment