Thursday, September 2, 2010

Three simple words...


We are all getting ready for an exciting upcoming semester. I have my books, my stapler, and a new pair of tennis shoes in anticipation for the school year ahead. A full schedule and a TA job lay in wait for me this fall and I am super excited to get back to full-time learning. (I know, I am weird)

We are already two days into it and I am extremely excited for the classes that I am attending this semester. I am looking forward to my Basics of Clothing Construction is going to be very informative and fun. 2 hours of lecture a week, and 6 hours of lab work a week... sounds like a lot, but we are going to make some pajama pants, a skirt, and a shirt, and another project along those lines... I'm going to learn techniques and basic sewing skills using samples and practice on the state-of-the-art lab equipment they have here.

Next is Family Finance... a math course for sure, but the information will pertain to my family and maybe after this class is over I won't have to have my darling husband explain our finance situation to me... My professor is entertaining and very intelligent, so I think this class won't be too terrible to stick through... :)

Doctrine and Covenants is going to be a favorite this semester. My professor is the cutest little old man you'll ever meet. I have taken a class from him previously and am still incredibly impressed with the fact that he is blind and has been teaching for... basically forever. He is very passionate about the D&C so I am excited to get some new insights into this part of scripture that is less read (I admit).

The class I am most excited for, however, is my first Education class. It is called Exploration in teaching Family and Consumer Science. Basically it is the intro course that will expose us to the world of a teacher. We will be visiting and helping teacher in public schools around the area. We are going to spend 3 days in a junior high and 3 in a high school. We are going to also learn tips and tricks to know when you are running a classroom, at different ages. Its a small class, the teacher is really fun, and I am excited (and a little nervous) to see (or at least get a better idea of) what its like to actually teach in the real world.

There is another class... but I haven't had it yet. Its an evening class once a week. It too has a long name. Foundations of Developmentally Appropriate Practices... And we'll hope that it goes well too. I struggle with evening classes, because I am tired by 6:00 but it should be interesting and it is a pre-requisite to another class I'm taking next semester.

In other news... Most of my missionary friends are home now. We threw a "Back to Utah" party for them last weekend. It was so fun to see them again and play a little night Frisbee. I can't wait to plan another one! :)

My sister-in-law has moved down by us to come to school as a freshman. She seems excited and its fun for me to have a sister around we get to chat once in a while and I can feel helpful if she has a question about where to go, or how to work the secrets of campus life. :) I've given her my helpful hint... and probably some not so helpful ones... but its fun to have her here.

Well, its been a while and this post is long... so hopefully I'll get back onto the writing of the blog this semester. The summer just wasn't exciting enough to write about... minus the sewing with my mom. That was fun... cross your fingers and hope to write again soon!



2 comments:

  1. Good luck with your new semester! It sounds like you're going to be pretty busy.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think it sounds like an exciting semester. I admire you for doing it with your new addition coming. We love you!

    ReplyDelete